We have all heard it said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Generally this saying is accompanied by a lecture, article or news story reminding us of the importance of eating a healthy meal in the morning to provide energy and help speed up metabolism. I am not here to lecture you so this is definitely not that type of article. Today we are only concerned with taste. Consequently everything on our list will be bad for you.1
This list contains the five best breakfast sandwiches served at nationwide fast food chains. This leaves out many great local places that serve amazing breakfasts, but since our audience is global we want to include places that many of you could reasonably visit without having to travel to another city, state or country. I’ve also only included standard menu items. I would hate to list something here and get your hopes up only to dash them because the restaurant only served the item for a limited time. In order to add some variety, I have decided not to include any restaurant more than once on this list. Enough preliminaries, let’s get this party started.
5. Chicken Bacon Sandwich – Dunkin’ Donuts
Dunkin’ Donuts is primarily known for two things. 1. Having coffee that is not as good as Starbucks, and 2. Having donuts that are not as good as Krispy Kreme2 Thankfully, they now have a line of hot and delicious breakfast sandwiches and this is probably the best of the bunch. A chicken breast topped with bacon and cheese and served inside a flaky and buttery croissant. What could be better than that? Well, four things actually . . .
4. Sausage McMuffin with Egg – McDonalds
The Egg McMuffin came first, but when McDonalds upgraded that thin piece of ham3 with a delicious sausage patty they changed everything. The crispy English muffin and griddle fried egg make it different than most other breakfast sandwiches. Other fast food joints have tried to duplicate it and failed miserably4 Too bad McDonalds doesn’t serve this all day5
3. Steak Breakfast Crunch Wrap – Taco Bell
Many of you are wondering if you should finish reading this since I am recommending something from the Taco Bell breakfast menu. Please bear with me. While Taco Bell still struggles with many of their breakfast items, they hit a home run with this one. Putting a hash brown inside a breakfast sandwich was a bold move. Combining it with steak, egg and cheese took it up a notch, but placing all of that in a delicious tortilla and having it shaped like a hexagon seals the deal. At least for me it does. I never knew geometry could taste so good!
The biscuits are made from scratch daily, and you can taste it. The country fried steak has a wonderful peppery flavor that keeps you coming back for more. You can even add egg and/or cheese to this if you are feeling especially adventurous, but to be completely honest this sandwich is perfect the way it is. The greatness of this sandwich even overcomes Hardees’ terrible commercials. It is so good in fact that I debated placing it at number one, but it was just barely beat out by . . .
1. Spicy Chicken Biscuit – Chick Fil A
The actual biscuit is not quite as good as Hardees, but still extremely tasty. The hunk of spicy chicken they put on here is the real show stopper though. I could talk about their friendly service or how quickly they move people through long drive thru lines, but as I promised this article is all about taste. Chick Fil A has mastered the art of making a wonderful chicken sandwich and have transferred that knowledge to breakfast. Adding a spicy kick to what they do is so good it should be illegal.
Did I miss any great options? Let me know and I will go try them immediately. This website gives me a pretty sizable breakfast stipend so money is no object! If you disagree please remember that these are the opinions of a solitary man living in a messy apartment that may or may not contain a chicken.
- I don’t actually know if these items are bad for you because, once again, this article is about taste. ↩
- I don’t drink coffee but my wife assures me this is true. I do eat donuts though so I know about the superiority of Krispy Kreme from personal experience. ↩
- Or Canadian bacon for the sophisticated among you. ↩
- I’m looking at you Jack in the Box and Burger King! ↩
- In some parts of the country they do serve this all day, but for some reason the McDonalds in the Middle Tennessee area refuse to do so. If you live in a part of the country (or world) where McDonalds serves this item all day then you are indeed blessed. ↩
- This may also be available at Carl’s Jr. in the western part of the United States. They have most of the same items, but I did not find it on their menu when I looked online so I only listed Hardees. ↩